22 December celebrated annually as National Mathematics Day to honor Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. This day marks the birth of the anniversary of famous mathematician Srinivasa Ramanuja.
Srinivasa Ramanuja contributed to explaining the analytical theory of numbers and worked on elliptic functions, continued fractions, and infinite series. Ramanuja’s genius regarded by mathematicians to on the same level as Euler and Jacobi from the 18th and 19th centuries.
He also awarded the Fellow of the Royal Society award. At the time of his death in 1920, Ramanuja had discovered his theorems and independently compiled 3900 results.
Ramanuja Prize given annually to eminent Mathematician by the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, and the government of India.
Former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh announced that 22 December will celebrated as National Mathematics Day. This decision taken in the year 2012 to mark the 125th birth anniversary of Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
On the occasion, Manmohan Singh also announced that 2012 would celebrated as the National Mathematics Year.
This day celebrated as Indian National Mathematics Day every year with numerous educational events held at schools and universities throughout the country.
In the year 2017, the day enhanced by the opening of Ramanujan Math Park in Kuppam, in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh.
Ramanuja Life and work :
1. Srinivasa Ramanuja was born on December 22, 1887, at Erode, Tamil Nadu in a Tamil Brahman Family.
2. He studied at a government college in Kumbakonam in 1903.
3. During his college time he failed many a time due to his negligence in non-mathematical subjects.
4. In 1912 he started working as a clerk in Madras Port Trust.
5. Ramanuja joined Trinity college which suggested by one of his colleagues, a few months before World War I began.
6. After receiving his bachelor’s degree he elected to the London Mathematical Society in 1917. He returned to India in the year 1919.
7. At the age of 32, he took his last breath.
8. A movie titled ‘The Man Who Knew Infinity released in 2015, based on Srinivasa Ramanuja’s biography.
” For more updates stay connected with WeirdNotion“